The Mighty Dolomites

Wrapping up a beautiful week traveling in the Dolomite mountain region of Northern Italy. These mountains are very scenic with their rugged spires; very dramatic scenery everywhere you look. Below this shot of a village puts the large mountains in perspective.  
Small Village in the Dolomite mountains


I had a couple of opportunities to go hiking (when there wasn't too much snow). This beautiful 3 hour hike only had a couple of people that I passed all day. It was gorgeous but also very windy.
Soaring Peaks in the Dolomites near Selva, Italy

I had to go over a lot of passes, many of them still covered in snow. This one started to snow before I got over the pass.
Storm clouds while going over Selva pass
Here is a shot of my van/home on the pass with a huge snowbank in the background.

My VW standing proud with a large snow bank behind it

While it was quite snowy in places, there was some nice weather and signs of spring coming out.
Spring flowers in the Dolomites

Here was a nice sunset on a beautiful mountain. I stood in some very strong winds for 2 hours to get the shot but I feel it was worth it.

Sunset in the Dolomite mountains above the town of San Vito Di Cadore

I came across one of the most beautiful emerald green lakes that I've ever seen. It really was stunning.
Brilliant emerald green lake Carezza in the Italian dolomites

After spending a rough night sleeping in the city (too much traffic going by to sleep well), I went up a mountain to relax and stumbled upon this oompah band playing in the village. So much for napping as I had to listen while having a nice beer and weisswurst.

 
An oompah band firing off the tunes in San Genesio, Italy


One of the towns that I visited is called Cortina D'Ampezzo and they hosted the 1956 winter olympics. You can still see remnants of the games throughout the town.

The Ski Jump from the 1956 Winter Olympics in Cortina D'Ampezzo


Well, a gorgeous part of Italy that I need to visit again in the future. So much more to see, maybe when there is a little less snow. Ciao!

Comments

Popular Posts