Ruins Galore

In this blog post, I visited a couple of ruins in the southern part of Italy. The first was the most famous being Pompeii, a city that was destroyed by Mt Vesuvius in 79 AD, (a long time ago!). Two things really hit me when visiting, first was how large Pompeii was with all of its houses, the forum and various outdoor spaces. Second, I didn't realize how far it was from Mt Vesuvius. I had originally envisioned it to be on the slopes which was incorrect. Here is a panorama of the Forum with Mt Vesuvius looming in the background.


A panorama image of Pompeii with Mt Vesuvius in the background




There was still a lot of beauty in Pompeii, with the columns still standing and beautiful Cypress trees all around.


Some columns in Pompeii with a reflection


This wall painting in a house struck me as prolific. It reminds me of someone being woken up out of sleep and running naked on hot lava! However the painting was done well before the eruption, maybe someone had a premonition!

Naked man running on hot lava?


While there, I was lucky to see some local Pompeiian girls waiting around outside the coliseum for their gladiators!

Some lovely Italian girls in togas waiting for their gladiators


You never can guess what you will see next, here is a lost Roman soldier asking for directions to Rome at a bar!


Excuse me good man, I'm looking for Rome?
 
I also visited Paestum further south down the coast. I didn't actually venture inside as it was raining and I could see most everything I wanted from outside. Here is a picture of the Greek temple of Hera.

Greek Temple of Hera in Paestum



That's it for now! In the next post, I will have images from Amalfi coast and Sorrento.
Ciao! Laurent

Comments

Popular Posts