To the Heel and Beyond

Since I have a strong internet connection (and will be in Germany for the next few days), I'm going to post another update which covers the last few days of traveling down south in Italy all the way down to what some call the tip of the heel of the boot !
Italy has some very  nice roads but I guess an earthquake got a hold of this one. I decided to turn around and try a little detour!

This road would probably be called impassable, at least in a VW campervan

As I was driving down the Ionian Coast (the coast on the west side of the stiletto heel), I noticed these colorful beach umbrellas ready for duty. For some reason, I liked their style!

Beach umbrellas ready for duty on the Ionian Sea

I finally reach my destination of the end of Italy's heel, in the town called Santa Maria Di Leuca.  It was beautiful and windy!

A super huge lighthouse at the end of Italia

The village of Santa Maria Di Leuca, at the very end of the heel, with a bit of wind!


I took a selfie in the reflection of my car window here :-)

End of Italy Selfie!


Driving back up the Adriatic seaside, I passed through an area called Alberobello, know for their distinct houses called Trullo (plural Trulli). I think the pointy hat gnomes live in these.


A batch of Trulli houses near Alberobello, Italy



Driving further north, as I was coming to my overnight location in Ostuni, Italy, a beautiful sunset awaited me.  I knew this would be a nice place to spend the night!

Nice sunset over the village of Ostuni, Italy



Well that's a wrap for now as I'm flying to Hanover Germany for a reunion with some hash (drinking club with a running problem) friends.  Next week will be Bologna and then the Dolomites! Ciao!

Comments

Popular Posts