Poland Part 3!

In this blog post, I'll wrap up my tour of Poland. After Warsaw, I proceeded north to the port city of Gdansk. Gdansk is famous for having started the Solidarity movement with Lech Walesa at the helm. I highly recommend taking a half day and visiting the Gdansk Solidarity Center. A very well done exhibit that helps tell the story of Poland's break from Communism.
  The Gdansk Solidarity Center with the Fallen Shipyard Workers Monument in the Foreground


Following a couple of days absorbing the sights of Gdansk, I headed eastword with a quick stop at Malbork Castle, a very serene location normally but the day I went was an annual festival that was a bit too commercial for me. I did this find this pleasing scene off from the crowds though.

A tower reflecting in the pond at Malbork Castle

From there, it was on to a historical location called the Wolf's Lair. This was Hitler's Headquarters for almost 3 years during the war with Russia on the Eastern Front. Really an amazing place with concrete walls 8 meters (26 feet) thick for protection from possible bombing raids. Walking the paths and seeing the buildings where so much history was made was interesting. The Germans did demolish as much as they could when they left and now nature is taking over and reclaiming this place.
  Bunker 13, the personal quarters of Hitler, had 8 meter thick concrete ceilings


After all the cities and historical visits, it was time to catch some nature. I headed off to an area called Masurian Lakes, a beautiful part of Poland in the northeast with rolling hills and beautiful lakes. It was really some nice driving and looking at the bucolic landscapes and pretty flower fields.
  A peaceful morning dockside at one of the Masurian Lakes

A field of yellow Daisies with bees a buzzing!

As you drive around Poland, one animal that you see plenty of is the Stork. Poland has 25% of the world's storks and you see them nesting in almost every village. They stick around in Poland until August at which time they all head down to Africa! Nothing wrong with going where the sun is!

  Storks nesting on an abandoned building in the Masurian Lakes region

A huge nest built by a stork in the countryside of Poland


I wrapped up my visit to Poland by visiting the mountains in southern Poland near the town of Zakopane. These mountains have gorgeous hiking trails and border the country of Poland and Slovakia. It's highly recommended that you wear sturdy soled hiking boots and the trails were very rocky and caused for some sore feet.

Hiking in the beautiful mountains of Zakopane, on the border of Poland and Slovakia

Nearing the top of my hike after 4 hours (hiking from my campground) I was within 100 meters of the cross. However it was here that there was a traffic jam requiring a one hour wait to get to the top. Most of the people took a cable car up and did a one hour hike and were not really in shape to make this last section. I didn't really feel like waiting around so continued on.

The cross on top of Mt Giewont is a very popular destination for Polish visitors


In the final blog post of the Poland Tour, I work my way home with an unexpected stopover in Austria. Please come on back and enjoy the next update! Thanks!

Comments

Popular Posts