Mini Euro Trip

With winter finally over, I was getting anxious to get out of the house and off exploring more areas. So into the van I went and headed off for Spain, France, Belgium and the Netherlands, basically a mini Euro trip. Sounds like a lot but very achievable as each location is reachable within a day's drive.  The first stop was down south to the northeastern point of Spain in the Catalonian region. First stop was an old monastery called Sant Pere de Rodes, built in the 10th and 11th century by Benedictine monks. The monastery is still in great shape and well worth a visit for the building and views of the Mediterranean.

 
The Sant Pere de Rodes monastery located above El Port De La Selva



Following that interesting stop, it was on down the road to the village of Cadaques, Spain. It was in this once small fishing village that Salvador Dali spent some childhood summers and perhaps drew inspiration for his wild art. It was definitely a place of scenic beauty with mountains coming down to the sea front.
The village of Cadaques, Spain


Neaby Cadaques in the village of Port Ligat is the home of Dali. He didn't just have his artwork in museums as can seen by the interesting exterior of his home. Wouldn't it have been fun to have him as a neighbor? I don't imagine property values dropped when he decorated though.
Dali's house with some interesting heads located in Port Lligat, Spain



Next stop on this trip was to one of my favorite Pyrenees locations and that is the principality of Andorra, located high up in the mountains. I always enjoy going by there because of its natural beauty. Plus you can't beat the tax free gasoline, alcohol and colognes, a must stop for bargain shoppers!
The mountains with ski areas above Andorra

Following Andorra and a quick pit stop at my house, it was onwards to northern France. First on that agenda was to visit the house and gardens of Claude Monet at Giverny. It was here that Monet spent his last half of his life painting and gardening creating several impressionistic masterpieces. Well worth a visit, especially in the springtime when in bloom!

Monet's house and garden at Giverny, France


The Japanese footbridge in his water garden that Monet made famous


With a bit of nature and artistic culture under the belt, it was time for some sporting action so further north I ventured. Next up was the kite festival in Berck Sur Mer located in the very north of France. There is a reason that they hold the kite festival there as there is a continuous wind and I have to say it was mighty cold the first day. Fortunately the sun came out strongly and so did the kites. I was amazed at the maneuverability that these kites had and really loved all the colors in the sky.

The kite festival in Berck Sur Mer, France


A car fashioned out of kites with wheels that turned at the kite festival in Berck Sur Mer


 
Random kites floating in the sky at the kite festival in Berck Sur Mer, France


Horizontal kites seemingly slicing the sky into sections at the kite festival in Berck Sur Mer, France


Well, it was au revoir to France and on further north to a town that I have been trying to visit for a couple of years. Finally I made it a priority and got myself to Bruges, Belgium. I had heard many glowing reviews about this town and have to say that it lived up to its reputation. From the cobble stoned streets and towers to the ancient bars with hundreds of beers available, it is truly a great place to wander for a couple of days. I'll definitely put it on my revisit list, especially since I found a great campsite not far from town.

The Market Square in Bruges, Belgium

I still had a couple of days before I needed to be in Antwerp so I did a quick trip to one of my favorite cities, Amsterdam. There is a great campground located on the edge of the city giving you quick access into the center. This was the first time I took my foot scooter in and it worked great but I think the bicyclists in the bike lane didn't know what to do with me in their lane. It all worked out and I will continue using my foot scooter on future trips. While there, I did a walking tour that travel writer Rick Steves gives away for free. His walking tours are great as they point out hidden gems that you wouldn't notice unless you knew where to look.  This one below really caught me by surprise. It says HOMO SAPIENS NON URINAT IN VENTUM which translates to A WISE MAN DOESN'T PISS INTO THE WIND. The structure isn't that old and the constructors had a sense of humor.

A columned structure with some advice in latin in Amsterdam


With all the waterways in Amsterdam, it is always fun to be looking at what is going on. I caught this swan creating beautiful ripples while cleaning himself.

A swan creates beautiful ripples while gently cleaning himself under a bridge in Amsterdam

Following Amsterdam, I started heading towards Antwerp but made a stop at the Keukenhof gardens located in Lisse, Netherlands. I had heard stories about the 80 acres with 7 million flower bulbs and thought springtime would be the perfect time to visit. Unfortunately, so did a million other people and I have to say I didn't stay long as the crowds were just a bit too overwhelming for me and it just wasn't enjoyable. It was a beautiful place but maybe there is a better time to visit, who knows.
Tulips glowing in the sunlight at Keukenhof garden
A wide range of flowering bulbs at the Keukenhof gardens in Lisse, Netherlands



I wrapped up my tour in Antwerp where I spent the weekend running and socializing with a large group of friends. It was then back down to my house to host some guests and do a little more garden renovation. Next trip coming up soon will be a journey to Madrid for a weekend followed by some time in the Spanish Pyrenees hiking and enjoying the old villages. Stay tuned!


Comments

Popular Posts