La Trec'in in Toulouse!

Last weekend, the stars aligned just right and made it the perfect time for a weekend trip to Toulouse, the Rose city, a place I'd never been. I had concert tickets for a French psychedelic band on Friday night, and decided I should stay the weekend, go to some rugby, sightsee and catch a hash trail. It turned out to be a great weekend, really a fantastic city that people should put on their visit list for France. I'd like to share just a few images of a couple of churches I visited and one people shot that I found interesting.  I began by just wandering around and stumbled upon this beautiful church called Cathédrale Saint-Étienne. It was started in the 13th century and finished in the 17th century (I'll never complain about slow workers again!) It had such a nice setting so I had to enter. 

 
Cathédrale Saint-Étienne, Toulouse France



Once inside, I was not let down. It was absolutely beautiful with some nice low volume choir music going on. These churches in Europe are truly amazing and should not be missed. I went to the back of the church to get a full length view and was able to capture this image. What I found most impressive was the alter behind the priest. It was about 40 feet high and very impressive with the intricate carvings.

Cathédrale Saint-Étienne, Toulouse France


While I was standing in the back and catching all the sights, I looked over to my right and noticed an amazing beam of light highlighting a door. I later found out it was a confessional. Maybe it was a sign for me but I guess I missed that one. I still found it beautiful to look at.

 
Cathédrale Saint-Étienne, Toulouse France



From there, I proceeded to walk around the old town of Toulouse and headed over to one more church that was supposed to be a must see.  While it was very impressive outside, I had heard the inside was amazing with the columns. Even though it was empty and under some construction, I was stunned by the beauty of the stained glass and especially the way the colored light was hitting the columns at that time of day. If you look closely, you can see a face in one of the columns....

Les Jacobins, Toulouse France


I wrapped up my walkaround by going to Le Capitole, which is the large municipal building in the center of the city with a large open area for people to visit. A great place for people watching, I ordered lunch at a cafe right next to it and enjoyed watching. After a few minutes, this gentleman came down and sat and watched as well. I just like how he needed to take a breather and watch the 
sights.

Le Capitole,Toulouse France


That was about it. That night, I went to a Rugby match which was exciting, and the next day went to run with the Toulouse Hash House Harriers. I also visited two nice museums, a photography museum called Chateau D'Eau and a contemporary art museum called Les Abattoirs. Both museums highly recommended.  Cheers! Laurent






Comments

Popular Posts